Applying Payments To Multiple Patients
You can apply a payment to one or several patients. This is done most
commonly with insurance checks that cover services for several patients.
The following steps assume that the payer fees due in the service records
- On the patient list, highlight one of the patients to whom payment
will be applied. From their Transaction List press the appropriate Patient
Payment or Insurance Payment button and select the appropriate payer.
- On the Payment Entry Screen enter the entire amount of the payment
received for all Patients on this single check or payment. Fill in the
other fields on the screen appropriately. Press the Ok button and you
will be taken to the payment application screen listing services with
- On the payment application screen, highlight a service corresponding
to the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and press the Apply Payment To
Charge button. If everything was set perfectly in the service, the payer
amount paid field will be filled with the correct amount. If it is not,
you will have to change the amount paid to the correct amount. You can
shift remaining debt to other payers or to discounts or write-offs at
this time. When all payer amounts balance, press the Ok button.
- When finished applying payments to all services for the current patient,
press the Select Another Patient button on the lower left corner of
the screen. Select the next Patient from the list. You may be presented
with a list of payers for this new patient. If so, select the appropriate
- Continue the process until all of the money from the original payment
amount has been applied.